Bandana bibs are currently all the rage in infant fashion meets functionality. Honestly, I keep seeing them pop up on sewing blogs as easy projects to try, as well as for sale at the handmade sales I like to go to. I figured I would give one of these a whirl to see how it turned out before I committed to making more... And I've got to say, I like how it turned out and I will definitely be making a few more for my Mr. Bump. H e doesn't seem to ever stop drooling and there's no sign of any teeth. His sisters didn't get any until they were both over a year so I expect much the same from him. In the meantime he's drowning in drool over here and we clearly needed a stylish solution. I think bandana bibs fit the bill just fine. Instead of a button, snap, or velcro, I really liked the tutorial I find that opts to sew a button hole to gently pull one end of the bib through the other instead. Check out Leafy Treetop's Blog for the full tutorial if you'd like to sew one too.
Inspired by a friend's daughter who was making some of these for people she knows, I decided a tag blanket would be a great lovey/toy for Mr. Bump. It took me ages to choose fabric online (nothing in my local store was inspiring me but the selection to be found online is a little overwhelming!) but I am really happy with my choices. The vehicle fabric is 100% cotton and the chevron fabric is super soft minky. Some of the ribbon I already had on hand and others I picked up at my local craft store. I decided to make my blanket 18" x 18:" though you can definitely play around with the size.
Minus the fact that I initially sewed two sides of the blanket and then saw that my tension was out of whack, so I then had to seam rip it all and start again, this project was relatively quick. I visited Project Nursery and Happy Hour Projects for a basic understanding of how I could go about creating my own tag blanket. They both have tutorials that you can follow along with step by step if you need it. Now I'm wondering who else I can make one of these for.
So, I finally sewed curtains for Mr. Bump's room just two days ago. We are ready and eagerly awaiting his arrival. I used this super easy tutorial so that I would kind of know what I was doing. I think they turned out quite well for my first go at curtains, though it's possible (probable) they are a little crooked. The right photo is a close up of the great fabric I found to use for them. Isn't it fab!?
I purchased this old Ikea CD shelf (to the left) about 13 or 14 years ago now. I had 3 of them and I used to keep all my CDs in them on the wall. As my collection expanded my shelving got upgraded mostly because Ikea stopped selling these. I knew in the back of my mind that one day they would make a great display shelf but I didn't know when I was going to use them and these actually made it through a couple of house moves with us despite not having a use at the time.
Fast forward many years later when they came out with the DC Universe Pop Heroes. My daughter really likes these guys and although collectibles, she actually took them out of the box to play with them. As she got a few and then a few more I started thinking about a way to keep them together but out of the way and organized. I like things to have a place. So I dug out the old wooden CD shelf that had been sitting in the garage for ages.
With some old DC comic books (don't worry, they were already falling apart) and some modge podge, I transformed the basic shelf into something really very cool. My daughter loves her display of Pop Heroes and I was pretty impressed with my handy work too.